Kids Activities for May
Happy May, friends! We hope you’ve been enjoying the different kids activities we’ve created through The Kids’ Corner and our pick-up crafts we’ve had at our offices. If you’ve missed out, be sure to check out our social media each month to see the different arts and crafts activities you can pick up to do with your little ones at home. This month we’re excited to share one of our favorite books, a dinosaur craft you can do with paper plates, and one of our favorite live animal cameras!
- Read aloud “Never Let A Dinosaur Scribble” by Diane Alber
- Enjoy making paper plate dinosaurs with this tutorial from I Heart Crafty Things
- Get up close and personal with the giant panda cam from the Smithsonian’s National Zoo in Washington, DC
Never Let A Dinosaur Scribble
Dinosaurs are amazing creatures, so why shouldn’t they scribble? This fun story follows a little boy who is always told, “never let a dinosaur scribble!” In his heart, he knows that dinosaurs are misunderstood and their scribbling can be beautiful. The boy wonders what would happen if he let the dinosaur scribble, just once, with a crayon. Unfortunately, the dinosaur has other ideas! See how the boy’s kindness gets out of hand when the dinosaur goes crazy with his artwork.
Paper Plate Dinosaurs Kids Activities
I Heart Crafty Things is a blog that has tons of exciting and creative arts and craft ideas that you can do at home with your little one. This month we dive into the world of paper plate dinosaurs! These prehistoric creatures are so much fun to learn about. Now you can make your own dinosaurs and decorate them however you want. This craft is a great choice for a rainy day or any day you want to learn more about dinosaurs!
Giant Panda Cam
The Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute in Washington, DC has one of our favorite animals: the giant panda. Right now, there are three pandas at the zoo. Tian Tain, Mei Xiang and Xiao Qi Ji. You can watch two different cameras to see what the pandas are up to, including getting up close and personal with Xiao Qi Ji, the new panda cub born on August 21, 2020.
Martin-Pitt Partnership for Children Programs
The Partnership is a nonprofit that works to support parents and caregivers of children birth through age five. So if you have a little one or you are one of our amazing local child care providers, we have something for you!
Our programs are almost entirely free and focus on early childhood education initiatives that prepare children for kindergarten. We have a home visiting program, support for child care providers, a resource room for families and providers, and assistance for families finding the best child care for their children.
Here is a bit more about some of our programs:
- Parents as Teachers: This evidence-based home visiting program works to strengthen families with several goals in mind. PAT helps increase knowledge of child development in parents, help families detect developmental delays and health issues earlier, prevent child abuse and neglect, and improve parenting skills to increase the school readiness of their children.
- Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library: Receive one high-quality, age appropriate book for your child from birth until their fifth birthday. This program helps promote early literacy efforts and is completely free for families in North Carolina.
- Child Care Health Consultants: Our Child Care Health Consultants work to promote safe and healthy classrooms in local child care facilities.