USDA changes SNAP regulations for NC hurricane victims
“As the state of North Carolina works to recover from this storm, USDA stands ready to provide common-sense flexibilities to help them meet the needs of their citizens,” said USDA Secretary Sonny Perdue.
Expanded Food Benefits for North Carolina Families and Children Affected by Hurricane Florence
- All students in affected disaster areas in North Carolina will now be able to enjoy free school meals provided by USDA’s National School Lunch Program through October 26.
- WIC will replace WIC food benefits that were damaged or stolen during the hurricane,issue benefits remotely, and waive some nutrition education requirements in places where offices are closed. To find an open WIC clinic should call North Carolina WIC at 1-800-367-2229 between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- SNAP will replace lost benefits allowing households to replace food lost as a result of Hurricane Florence.
- Hot foods can be purchased using SNAP benefits at the grocery store (SNAP authorized) through October 31, 2018.
- SNAP can extend certification periods and waive reporting requirements for ongoing SNAP households in 18 counties.
- Special Disaster SNAP will be available in the 18 impacted counties (Beaufort, Bladen, Brunswick, Carteret, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Duplin, Harnett, Jones, Lenoir, New Hanover, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, Robeson, Sampson, and Wayne) starting on September 28.
- For information on SNAP eligibility and operations call the State’s SNAP hotline at 866-719-0141 or see: https://www.ncdhhs.gov/hurricane-florence
- If you need assistance with or a replacement of your North Carolina EBT card, please call the State’s EBT customer service number at 800-630-4655.
- USDA has allowed the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina to operate summer meal programs during these unanticipated school closures. See where to find help: http://blog.foodbankcenc.org/wordpress/find-help-hurricane-florence/
- Call USDA’s National Hunger Hotline to find emergency food providers in your community: 1-866-3-HUNGRY or 1-877-8-HAMBRE (for Spanish) from Monday through Friday (7 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET).